Job Title: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
ESSENTAIL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the center
- Identifies, assesses, and informs the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Acts as a professional advisor to the Board on all aspects of the center’s activities
- Fosters effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- In addition to the Chair of the Board, acts as a spokesperson for the organization
- Prepares official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when indicated
Operational Management and Planning
- Develops and/or revises an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization
- Ensures that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its consumers, Board and Funders
- Oversees the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Drafts policies for the approval of the Board and prepares procedures to implement the organizational policies; reviews existing policies on an annual basis and recommends changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensures that personnel, consumer, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Provides support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials
Program Planning and Management
- Oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs, services and special projects
- Ensures that the programs and services offered by the center contribute to the organizational mission and priorities
Human Resources and Planning
- Determines staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Oversees the implementation of human resources policies, procedures and practices
- Establishes a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Selects staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the center’s mission
- Ensures that all staff receive an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Oversees a performance management process for all staff
- Coaches and mentors staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Disciplines staff when necessary using appropriate techniques; releases employees using legally defensible procedures
Financial Planning and Management
- Works with managers and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare an annual comprehensive budget
- Establishes and coordinates a development council to secure adequate funding for the operation of the center
- Researches funding sources and prepares, or arranges for the preparation of, grant proposals to increase the funds of the organization
- Participates in planning and implementation of fundraising activities
- Ensures that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administers the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitors the monthly cash flow of the center
- Provides the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization
- Ensures that the center complies with terms and fiscal provisions of all executed contracts and applicable laws
Community Relations and Management
- Communicates with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, public officials, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the center
- Represents the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
- Identifies and evaluates the risks to the center’s consumers, staff, management, volunteers, property, finances, goodwill, and image and implements measures to control risks
- Ensures that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage and that the terms, conditions and limitations of the coverage is understood by all relevant persons
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s Degree (BA) or equivalent. Minimum two years’ experience in a management position with responsibilities which included supervision, budgeting, and program responsibilities; Two years’ experience on the Board or staff of an Independent Living Center; Three years’ experience in community based programs and/or organizing.
- Strategic Thinking: Develops, communicates and converts strategy into plans that allow us to achieve our intended business results.
- Personal Development: Actively participates in the performance planning process. Seeks opportunities for continued growth opportunities.
- Results Orientation: Takes initiative to ensure successful results that exceed expectations.
- Building Teams: participates in team activities and recognizes the contributions of others.
- Communicates With Others: maintains effective communication with his/her peers and management. Complies with all policies, procedures and laws set for the organization, state, or Federal Government.
- Customer Orientation: responds with a sense of urgency to customer problems.
- Process Improvement: Takes the initiative to eliminate activities that do not add value.
- Develops People: Removes barriers that prevent others from achieving results.
- Takes initiative to ensure successful results;
- Works cooperatively with others;
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing;
- Focuses on solutions rather than problems;
- Understands and supports consumer-directed services;
- Respects the opinions of others;
- Represents the agency in a professional manner;
- Upholds the principles of the organization;
- Exhibits a commitment to professional growth;
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to:
* Only qualified individuals will be contacted for an interview.
The Dayle McIntosh Center does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of any protected category including race, color, religion (creed), sex (gender including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity (expression), age (over 40), national origin (ancestry), disability (mental and physical), medical condition, genetic information, marital status, or military and veteran status, in any of its activities or operations.